Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

My kids graduated

In the past two weeks, my two sons have graduated from university and high school. My husband and I watched them march across the stage along with the music to receive their diplomas. We felt so proud and happy at that moment.

Let’s turn the clock to the time they were born; they were both under 7 pounds and three weeks before their due dates. Stephen was born without hair, and Alex was born with a full head of hair. Stephen was a very mature child, and Alex was quiet and thoughtful. Alex has always adored his brother.

There are all kinds of schools in this world, but there is no school that can teach you to be a parent. I guess we have been lucky. Our two boys have always behaved well and have never given us too much trouble. Thankfully, in my twenty-two years as a parent I have not received a late night phone call from the police. They are both diligent and hard working students. They know we have been tried our best to be good parents; we have shared almost every important moment in their life - birthdays, ball games, swim meets, parties, school activities, etc. I know they appreciate us being there with them. When they were happy, we shared their joy; when they were sad, we struggled with them; when they were sick, we just lost sleep. When they were young, we instructed them to read certain good books. Today, they advise us what to read. Our role has gradually changed, but I’ll tell you, I have learned so much while bringing our boys up.

Today, they are not the two small children I remember; they are both graduated and moving on to different phases of their lives. Stephen is beginning his next journey; he’ll step into the world and learn how to be an independent young professional. Alex will continue his education to become a future scientist. In a world where not many children move on to college and many do not even complete high school, I think that we have earned an A plus as parents. Good luck, boys! Set your goals high, you can become whatever you want to be.

No comments: